Updated: Aug 26, 2021
Recipe development and photographs by Shambhavi ( https://thatbakeblog.com/about/ )
These Mini Strawberry Hand Pies are small packets of joy & the perfect dessert for any occasion from a Sunday brunch to a late night dessert craving. They have flaky, buttery layers of pie crust packed with a homemade or store bought strawberry jam. You can even customize them with any other jam flavors of your choice. They are however best made using Unroll’s Shortcrust Pastry Sheets that make the process a lot easier and quicker. They stay good for days and can be easily frozen to preserve for longer durations.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Unroll Short crust Pastry Sheet: You will need one sheet of homemade or store-bought short crust pastry to make these mini pies.
Fresh Strawberries: Fresh and ripe strawberries are best to make a juicy, jammy filling for these hand pies. You will need them sliced and cut into small pieces.
Granulated Sugar: You will need this to make the strawberry filling for these pies. Along with adding sweetness, sugar helps to give the jammy texture to it.
Lemon Juice: I always prefer using homemade lemon juice for its freshness & best natural flavor. However, you can even use store bought one instead if necessary.
Vanilla: You must use a high quality pure vanilla extract in your recipes. This helps to add a rich flavor to your baked goods. Pure vanilla extracts are typically dark brown in color. This enhances the flavor of all ingredients and you should never leave this out.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps to thicken the strawberry jam and bring it to the desired consistency.
1 Unroll Short crust Pastry Sheet
400g ripe strawberries
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cornstarch
pinch of salt.
1. Cut the strawberries into small pieces.
2. Add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla to a small heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until berries start to break down.
4. Turn the heat down to low, and let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Add in the cornstarch and salt and stir it continuously for about 1-2 minutes with a wooden spatula until thickened.
6. Transfer to a bowl and then place in the refrigerator until cool and ready to use.
7. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
8. Cut circles using cookie cutters in Short crust Pastry Sheet.
9. Add one tablespoon of strawberry filling on them.
10. Cover with a lattice crust or another circle.
Mark a cross for the circle ones to allow air to pass through them.
Seal the pies using a fork.
11. Bake the pies at 400 F for 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving!
12. Store pies at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 days!